Originally posted 8-25-09
"Digger, where have you been?" you may be asking. Well, I have a good excuse, or two. For a few days, we've been privileged to have as our guests, two Italian super-models - Sophia and Loren. Check this out.
|Be still my beating heart.|
Unfortunately, these girls are also super-fast.... more like lightening-fast. Never could catch them, but I sure had fun trying. A mutt like me would never have a chance with chicks like these anyway. I was flirted with shamelessly, however. (Sigh).
Best Fertilizer for Lawn - Slow Release and OrganicNow, I'm back at work, busily making my contribution to the cause. Our focus is on the fall and what to do about our pitiful lawn. We've never fertilized our lawn grass (well, I have, but only a spot at a time. Besides, we have enough mowing to do with the pasture, which is fertilized.) As you can see, there is a lot of room for improvement:
|This grass needs help!|
After mowing, the sparseness of the lawn is evident. The project at hand is to add organic content (Pure Black Castings® ) and inoculate with microbes (VermaPlex® ) for a slow-release, low-runoff fertilization. August and September is a good time to do this. For lawns with Bahia grass, you don't want to fertilize too late in the year or too early in the Spring.
For our experiment, we're going to fertilize the lawn section and leave the rest for comparison.
Our application for 1000 square feet is as follows:
- 20# Pure Black Castings® following by
- 24 oz VermaPlex® mixed with 2-4 gallons water as a drench
- 10 days later: 24 oz VermaPlex® mixed with 1 gallon water as a spray.
And maybe - just maybe - when Spring arrives and Sophia and Loren pay us another visit, there will be "Splendor in the Grass" for old Digger.
Certified Organic Garden Fertilizer Resources:
|Perfect lawn fertilizer combo|
- Pure Black Castings™: Certified Organic Worm Castings created using only organic materials.
- VermaMax®: Chicken Litter organically composted using VermaPlex®.
- VermaPlex®: Created from Certified Organic Pure Black Castings™. Innoculate your garden soil and your compost heap.
- Organic Fertilizer Information: Find use/application guides at Monroe Works